Saturday, September 1, 2007

Spicey Start

Weekends are now an interesting experience, since we've been sending Jesse to play group in the week. She's got used to being thoroughly entertained everyday and so I have to fathom out some kind of entertainment for Saturday mornings. It's quickly turning into summer here and the mid-mornings are so warm but not yet that unbearable Pietermaritzburg heat.

This morning I decided to go outside and water the garden while Jess rode her plastic motorbike in the driveway. Well, that was the plan. But she wanted the water so we both ended up soaked but happy and the garden watered. The resident troop of monkeys also provided some interesting antics as they foraged in the surrounding bush.

Now it wouldn't be a good day without some cooking so I decided to use those chicken pieces that I bought yesterday. I threw some glugs of olive oil in a baggie, added some garlic herb seasoning, a teaspoon of sugar and some salt and pepper. I put the chicken pieces (legs and thighs) in the bag and made sure they were well coated with the marinade / seasoning. I then put them in a baking dish and baked them in a preheated oven (190 dgrees C) for 50 minutes.

Some free advice: never leave a toddler alone with a beanbag....especially if the polystyrene beans are accessable through the zip cover. While I was cooking up a storm in the kitchen, Jess was making snow storm in the lounge. Oh bother...those foam ball are a mission to clean up cause they stick to everything.

The chicken was baking and those pieces were smelling oh so good. I tried to get Jess to sleep. This was a mammoth task as she was completely over-excited about the bird that we found flying round the bedroom. I suspect it was our ferocious hunter cat, Moses, that was the culprit. After managing to get the bird safely back in the garden and Jess to drop of to sleep, I ran for my chicken pieces. Yum, done to juicy perfection. Another great chicken recipe to add to my http://www.chicken-recipes-made-easy.com/ website.

The best part about grilled chicken pieces is that you can leave them to be eaten whenever cause they are nice hot or cold and go well with a salad and fresh rolls or any starch of your choice. I think tonight will be a pizza but I'll probably order out just to have a break.

No comments: